“Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before obscure men.” Proverbs 22:29, NASB
Dear Christian Writer Friends,
A dynamic one-sheet is attainable with Microsoft Word. And you—yes, you—can make one all by yourself 😊.
Attending a Christian writers conference ranks at the top of my favorite activities. It offers valuable learning opportunities, industry networking, and spiritual encouragement. Whether we’re anticipating our first or fifteenth conference, each of us can benefit from preparing well. Conference faculty members appreciate excellence, and it honors the Lord when we do our best.
Sometimes, however, we feel overwhelmed by all the preparations. We possess limited abilities and little time. We know we need to present quality materials, but we’re writers … not graphic artists.
Making a one-sheet on Microsoft Word is cost-effective plus simple. Just follow my four steps and experience the results. If you have questions along the way, please ask below. I’ll do my best to help you succeed. Also, see my sample one-sheet, which includes my comments and notes, at the end of this post below my bio.
In Christ’s Love,
- Open Microsoft Word
- Click FILE in the upper left-hand corner
- Click NEW FROM TEMPLATE
- Click the NEWSLETTERS option and double click on the style of your choice (see photo below)
- Select the page that contains the best layout for your text and photos
- Insert your information in the various sections:
- Book Title
- Word Count
- A two or three-sentence book summary
- Endorsements – who recommends you and your writing? Why?
- Contact information (e-mail address, website, cell #)
- A one-paragraph description of your book that answers why it’s necessary in today’s market
- Author Bio plus a professional headshot
- Photos (Pixabay and Unsplash are excellent resources for free images)
- Save the entire “newsletter” as a Word document so you can make changes later if needed
- Next, save the entire document in PDF format
- Open your one-sheet in PDF format
- Select and delete the unnecessary pages on the left-hand side, then re-save the document
- Save your one-sheet on a flash drive or e-mail it to your local printing shop (I take mine to Office Depot)
- Print 5-8 copies to share with editors, agents, and other conference faculty members
- Have fun making your dynamic one-sheet, and enjoy the results of your labors!
Emily Wickham began her writing journey in 2005. She writes for LifeWay Christian Resources and blogs regularly. She enjoys serving the Lord as an author, speaker, and mentor who also encourages and equips Christian writers.