“The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime; And His song will be with me in the night, A prayer to the God of my life.” Ps. 42:8, NASB
Earlier today, I reflected on how regularly I mull over negative realities. Current news reports like the Iraqi invasion, ongoing litigation concerning a Christian ministry, the release of five Taliban commanders, Pastor Saeed Abedini’s imprisonment, abortion heartaches, and so on effectively grab my attention. Sometimes I’ll spend hours reading up on these devastatingly sorrowful situations … while the truth of God’s goodness and love fades into the background.
So as I drove down the road this afternoon, I thought, “what about all the good God is doing?”
Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.” Ps. 136:1
Surely God never ceases to do good. He can’t. He’s loving and kind. Forever.
Now I’m privileged to reflect, gratefully recognizing today’s evidences of the Lord’s lovingkindnesses:
- I started the day with my husband who loves me. After almost 25 years of marriage, we wouldn’t be complete without each other. Love truly is a most beautiful gift.
- I hugged each of my three sons, treasuring their uniqueness and loving them, just because.
- I spent the day with my daughter, enjoying her sweet smiles and trusting heart. She earnestly desired to buy material and try her hand at making a dress—what simple delight to participate in her search at the fabric store. I love her God-given, creative, talented abilities. Eagerly I’m anticipating the final result of her efforts!
- I interacted with a non-Christian. While I hope for the opportunity to share Christ verbally, for now I’m attempting to share His love through kindness. I don’t know where this is going or what God has in mind. But I’m seeking to obediently pursue through conversation and prayer as the Spirit leads.
- I ate a delicious dinner at a local restaurant, pleased to acquire an evening off from cooking. 🙂
- I helped some neighbors locate and secure their missing dog. Ha! I’m not really capable when it comes to animals, but for some reason God used this scenario to reconnect me with a lady who lives two doors down.
- And now, I’m writing about Jesus. I love putting words about Him together—words that flow from Him, through me, to readers who thirst for Him.
Unquestionably God has chosen to pour out His overwhelmingly abundant, magnificent lovingkindness on me … and you. Like the delicate beauty of a blooming flower, He opens our hearts with His tender touch. Can you see Him? Hear Him? Sense His presence? Hopefully He’s stirring your heart even through this message, drawing you to a comforting awareness.
Despite constant occurrences of evil in this fallen world, our God remains at work. Gently and powerfully, He loves. Mercifully and graciously, He saves … forgives … restores … renews. Generously and purposefully, He enacts kindness. This is our God who never changes.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever.” Heb. 13:8
Dear friend, how have you experienced His lovingkindness today?