I’ve been getting messages–two or three in fact–from a sister in South Asia. On fire for Christ, she writes of her passion to reach millions in her country with the gospel. Simply, sincerely she rejoices in God’s protection of her life through dangers and crisis. After detailing an upcoming healing crusade where people will be baptized, she expresses a desire to buy Bibles and give God’s Word to churches/people in need. She prays for me … believing God that one day I will visit her land and share kingdom truths with her people.
Is this for real? I must admit being somewhat skeptical about unknown internet contacts. At the same time, reality reveals that countless people in far away countries hunger for Christ. Despite rejection, persecution, and life-threatening dangers, these dear ones pursue CHRIST with all their hearts. To them, HE IS EVERYTHING. What an inspiration these suffering saints supply! With single eyes and pure hearts, they eagerly follow Jesus.
So, if I do go to South Asia someday :), what would I say? What message would I share with precious people looking for hope? Actually, not what, but whom? JESUS CHRIST.
Beginning with Romans 5:8 would provide a strong start: “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners , Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8).
- We’re all sinners who rightly deserve the punishment of death (Romans 6:23).
- Though none of us seek after God (Romans 3:11), God in His marvelous GRACE has provided a way of justification: the blood of His beloved Son, the Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 5:9).
- Because Christ shed His blood on our behalf, God can justly forgive our sins when we place our faith in Jesus. Salvation is a gift. For free. By FAITH. (Ephesians 2:8).
Amazingly all God desires on our part is FAITH in His Son: placing our complete confidence in Christ and His work on the cross. That’s it–no hoops to jump through, no conditions to meet, no works on our part. Salvation belongs to Christ. He accomplished EVERYTHING. As we humbly recognize this truth and wholeheartedly accept Jesus Christ as the only One who can save us from the punishment we deserve, we become a new creature in Christ. The old has passed, the new has come (2 Corinthians 5:17).
“Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:1).
After explaining God’s great salvation and justification by faith, surely these dear ones in South Asia would then benefit from learning about discipleship and sanctification:
- “…sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts” (1 Peter 3:15).
- “Then Jesus said to His disciples, ‘If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me'” (Matthew 16:24).
- “As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him” (Colossians 2:6).
- “…that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God” (Colossians 1:10).
In essence, “…Christ’s love for us is what brings us our salvation. It is our love for Christ that is part of the discipleship process” (Charlie Bing).
Truly I’ll be awestruck should the Lord lead me to South Asia. Yet I echo Mary’s words, “For nothing will be impossible with God” (Luke 1:37). In the meantime, I’m thrilled and privileged to share Christ with you. If you’ve never placed your faith in Christ, please do so now. Judgment is coming. Be reconciled to God! Willingly Jesus Christ already has paid the penalty for your sins. God is “…not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9). “…if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved” (Romans 10:9).
And that’s what I would say.